Spiritual rest is the greatest result of the revelation of grace. Nothing has a more practical effect on our lives than knowing God is for us, God is smiling at us, God loves who He sees when He looks at us, and God is not counting our sins against us.
Resting may not come easy at first, though. It may take time for us to truly see life through the grid of grace. In my own personal journey into grace there was so much dismantling of a mindset of work. We used to preach, “We’ll rest when we get to heaven! We’re serving God with all our hearts so one day we’ll hear those words, ‘Well done, My good and faithful servant.’” But a servant’s work is never done.
In the early days of my grace awakening, I prayed, “Lord, it seems to me that even believing is a work. It seems like the ONE thing we have to DO.” He responded, “Believing is the choice to do nothing in your own strength. Rest, Tricia. Trust Me.” Then He began to speak to me about my life. Maybe you can relate. He said:
- REST when you want to dredge up all your failures and get them off your back. I don’t remember your sins. Trust Me.
- REST when people misunderstand you. I understand you better than you understand yourself. Trust Me.
- REST when untruths are spoken about you. I believe in you. Trust Me.
- REST when you mess up and you want to fix it. I can handle it all by Myself. Trust Me.
- REST when your flesh says, “DO SOMETHING!” Remember: it is finished. Trust Me.
- REST when logic tells you the exact opposite. My ways are not your ways. Trust Me.
- REST when people are screaming “GO!” and I am saying “stop.” I know your future. Trust Me.
- REST when you have all the answers and they are on the tip of your tongue. I’ll make sure everyone hears what they need to know when they need to know it. Trust Me.
- REST when you could fix it all. I gave you the fruit of self-control. Trust Me.
- REST when your dreams and visions have been etched in your heart for so long and people keep saying it’s all just around the corner. I live outside of time. Live there with Me. It will all happen. I promise. Trust Me.
- REST when you are so stirred up you think you might just explode. Trust Me. I will still the storm in your soul.
- REST when there’s so much to do. Through My strength only do what only you can do. Let other people do the rest. Trust Me.
- REST when you are burnt out. My grace will enable you to rise on wings with eagles and never get tired. Trust Me.
- REST when you have produced so much through DOING. I was pleased with you before you ever did anything for Me. Trust Me.
- REST when approval from others has come from DOING something. My approval of you comes through My approval of Jesus. You don’t have to do anything. He already took care of it for you. I approve of you. Trust Me.
- REST when your value to men has been determined by what you do. Through the blood of My beloved Son you have been made perfect in My sight and can’t do ANYTHING to be more valuable to Me. Trust Me.
- REST when DOING something ensured that you had friends. I AM your Best Friend and I will never, ever leave you. Trust Me.
- REST when others are having the time of their life doing what you think you want to do. My plans for you would blow your mind if I told you. The best is yet to come. Trust Me.
- REST while the clock ticks and you get older and older. I am renewing you. I will restore years! Trust Me.
- REST while your dreams fade. I gave you those dreams in the first place. I am faithful. Trust Me.
- REST and hear My voice. Trust Me.”
“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27)
By Tricia Gunn